Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Day one blog one

For quite a while now I have kept a list of information surrounding what it is like being a Ph.D. student. For reasons only those of you in graduate school will understand... it becomes the thing that defines me. "I can't take that trip because I have school, or I am on break and it is awesome, or I have to study, or I am taking finals"...basically it becomes who I am. When people ask me tell me a little bit about myself, I automatically blurt out "I am a Ph.D. student." Not I am a published author, or a wife, or a step-mom, or the mother to two fantabulous doggies. Nor do I state I am a business owner or a world traveler or a bibliophile. Those five all important words seem to sum me up just fine. I am a Ph.D. student.

I started my program in August of 2005, and I plan/anticipate/better be done late 2008. Once I finish I will insist that you all call me Dr., and I will cease answering to anything to the contrary. I wrap up my Ph.D. course work in August. This would normally be a milestone in any other degree, but really means I am just getting started. I have comprehensive written and oral exams left, and then there is the subject of that little paper I gotta write! :)

Let me give a bit of background, then I will conquer what I intended on this notorious day. I work for myself as an independent contractor. I write software and do systems analysis and design, about 90% of the work I do is from home. I went to Auburn University for my B.S. and M.S. I used to work for PriceWaterhouseCoopers. The largest complaint I have working from home, and for myself is that people think I do not work. They think it is ok to assume I am goofing off while others operate their wheel barrows in hades.

In July 2005 I got married to my AWESOME husband. He is ultra supportive. He moved to NOWHERE Mississippi for me so I could pursue my dream. He is also a programmer and web developer so we are well matched. He works for the University.

At any rate that is enough bio info for now. In addition to my contract labor I teach a few online college courses. Hence the name of this blog. I love the "Nutty Professor" persona, but as a woman there is a scarcity of movie role models. :)

My husband and I have 2 dogs. They are adorable, and keep me comfy during my long days of studying or working. I also have a 9 year old step daughter. She lives in Phoenix, and visits us when she can.

The goals for this blog are to have a place to vent about my at times dysfunctional department. To be able to provide insight and or advice to lonely lost Ph. D. students or would be doctoral students looking for some answers. Finally I would like to be able to document my dissertation work progress so that I will be able to possibly publish it in the future as a how to guide or just to keep myself on target! Either way in terms of academia it should be a wild ride...for the rest of you...if you loved me you would read my blog!

1 Mad Ramblings:

anonymous female said...

You know I am a bad, bad fellow blog friend when I am FINALLY getting around to reading (in detail) your blog. Oh how I can relate to so much of what you say (people think working from home means you are AVAILABLE - hah!). Are you still doing all those contracts?? How do you keep up?