Saturday, July 28, 2007

Ode to Barrett





You gamboled into my life on December 18, 1998. One short month after my heart had been torn to pieces. I wanted you to help me heal it. You were so fat and precious. The first night I had you I slept in the garage with you because my parents wouldn’t let you sleep in the house. I was home for Christmas vacation, but I knew soon I would be taking you back to Auburn.

You were so smart! You were potty trained as soon as I had you. You were so big and warm. Your dopy smile and curiosity began mending my heart. I started over with you.

I was severely anorexic at the time, and you saved my life. My doctor told me I had to eat enough to be strong enough to feed you every day. So I did. I ate to take care of you. You saved my heart, and in a way you saved my life. Taking care of you became a priority…it shifted my focus from the disease that was killing me. I began to slowly eat. I began to slowly grow. I wanted to be strong for you.

I kept you in a refrigerator box in Auburn. You were so big, and if I didn’t take you to class you would get into everything. You could escape the back yard and everyone in the neighborhood would look out for you and bring you back if you had gotten out.

I moved you from our duplex in Auburn to an apartment in Atlanta. You loved going out on the porch of that apartment. You could bark at cars and growl at people walking by…you were always so mischievous. You were hit by a car one night by a crazed man on drugs. I was consumed with worry, and burning with anger. Thankfully you survived with hardly any damage.


Yet another apartment in Atlanta. You loved the townhouse. You would run your ball upstairs and kick it downstairs playing ball by yourself for hours. You were so funny to watch. The silly games you played…the antics you got up to. You were not allowed on the furniture yet whenever I would leave…you would sleep on the couch. When I would return you would slink into the bathroom…punishing yourself.

You moved to El Paso. You loved your huge yard. You hated the river rock backyard until your feet grew accustomed to them. You slept in your pool. Taking long naps with your head hung over the side. You loved to chase your ball, and hide so you could bark at unsuspecting people that walked on the sidewalk behind the house.

You were so jealous. When Bey came into our lives you tried to stop him. You squished yourself in between our bodies so we could not kiss for the first time. But you grew to love him. You rode in his truck and loved to go places. You swam in the strong currents of the Rio Grande. You didn’t know what to think at first when we bought the Shuggy. We got her for you. I was going back to school and didn’t want you to be lonely.

You loved Mississippi. It was like homecoming to you. The lake in the back yard was right up your alley. You hated that you couldn’t swim when we first moved so you opened the garage and let yourself out to go swim in the lake. You always were a smart dog. How did you learn to open a garage door? You taught the Shuggy to swim. You were so tall you could put your head up on a counter top…you could have swiped food…but you never did you were so polite. You were such a good dog.

I had you for eight and one half years. I got you when I was 21 years old, and you were everything I have ever wanted in a dog. You were loyal, kind, a good protector. You have so many nicknames “The General- because you know where to strategically be to best be underfoot, and also because you always saved your “troops” or your babies from the vacuum cleaner. Barrett, B, the B man, the B guy, guy, Baby Bear, Bear, Bearhead, Oso, the B the B the B, da bear. Your daddy even made up a song to sing to you.

Billy Graham said it…and I believe it. You are in heaven with your baby and your ball. I know you are just waiting for me to take you swimming. I miss and love you. And I will see you again someday. God answered my prayers. You went in your sleep. I didn’t have to make any hard choices about it. I know you would not have wanted me to either. I just miss you is all. I just wanted you to smile that god awful smile at me again. I just wanted to take you to the beach once more. I just wanted you to be ok one more day.

Last Wednesday before you got sick, you played ball and had so much fun. I have that memory cherished. I also have the memory that you popped everyone of Bey’s balloons on his birthday! You loved playing with balloons. Thank you for being such an amazing pet. Thank you for mending my heart and saving my life.

AKC Registered Name

Barrett of Auburn Adams

October 17, 1998 – July 27, 2007

0 Mad Ramblings: