Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Personal First then Work Related

So hubby is on his way home from his Phase II FBI interview. He thinks he did awesome. I know he did awesome. I am soooo proud of him. One of the guys that interviewed him was from Auburn! WAR EAGLE! Some good folks went to that school. I am his dutiful and supportive wife. The perfect accessory. haha!

We have been discussing extra credit for students on another blog. The subject of the dreaded regrade came up. It sends chills down my spine. Regrade que horror! I won't regrade assignments, and I would like to know just what professor started this idea so I could go kick their tail.

Regrading is where a student submits an assignment. You look it over make comments for improvement and then slap a grade on it. Ostensibly the grade should be lower than a 100 or the student would not then receive the paper and ask to redo the assignment for a regrade.

I have blanket answer for the regrade request. ....No. I do not regrade assignments. Follow the instructions and rubric the first time. There are no hidden steps. Just follow those easy to read and follow directions and you will be fine. However it is obvious that on occasion my students don't read my syllabus nor do they care about a school wide anti regrading policy.

I have one or two students that stop by my blog. They know I am not being mean nor snarky when I say I will not regrade assignments. I do this out of the goodness of my heart. Never at work am I given a regrade. :)

4 Mad Ramblings:

Unknown said...

Generally I have found the regrade requests come in two forms. The first is from students who are not doing well in anything throughout the class. The other is from students who are hovering between C/D or B/C and they want to do a paper from the beginning of the course over at the end of the course to boost that letter grade up a notch.

I look at what they have done throughout the course. If they have been hard working and showing improvement, then I respond with "please explain to me what you've learned that will enable you to make the paper better."

If the answer is detailed and demonstrates a high level of learning, I just give them the 1-3 points to get that higher grade without having to do the paper over.

Mind you, this is a VERY unusual circumstance and happens only about once a year. But I do admit to this in very rare cases.

~VP~

papabudda2 said...

Sorry, been doin this to long and feel a return to socratic teaching styles would cure some of this "re-grade" work idea. What is learning? isn't it about increasing your knowledge, and knowledge can come from failure as well as 100's. we are assessed at points in our learning curve. this only serves to make me "look good on paper". if you want to prove you have "learned something 'better' then do it for the sake of learning and the next assessment, not to look good on paper.

IPG said...

I have never had the latter regrade request. IT almost ALWAYS comes from the students that have not yet done anything.
IPG

Nels P. Highberg said...

But what do professors do if they are wrong? What if, when grading an exam, you move the key and grade an entire page of questions erroneously? As an administrator who has to handle grade changes, I hear all the time from profs who screwed up and had to regrade. Or they do the math wrong. I once had a prof have to regrade an entire exam for a class because of a problem in his Excel spreadsheet, which he would not have known until a student requested a regrade. A blanket no in that case would have left an entire class with the wrong grades.