Monday, July 14, 2008

Back to the grind

I have two schools starting back this week. It is back to the grind for me. :( Man! I am going to be a busy bee again. Also the brief hiatus I had allowed myself from that little paper I have to write is now officially OVER. I gotta get back to it! :(

I have enjoyed my time off. For the first time in almost 3 years I get to be a person again. I have broken a fairly serious caffeine addiction that was a requirement to get through most of my days. Being a Ph.D. student is not all glamor like it sounds. Ha! There are times when you are overwhelmed and underfed. There are times when you eat Cheetos for dinner because you are too tired to move from your desk. My poor handsome hubby had to go retrieve me from my office at school face down in the desk of my statistics book. I was so tired I fell asleep face down on my text. My office at home looked like some sort of academic journal bomb went off there. There were papers and academic papers and heaven knows what strode all over the office. Finally that room is clean. That room looks like your normal home office. All evidence of the academic journal bomb has been organized and alphabetized on the shelf in chronological order. Amazing really...like a real person uses that office not the unabomber. I have almost ceased quoting journal articles when talking to everyday normal people like the grocer. That was a difficult habit to break.

This is something I am only putting on my blog, but I am already starting to miss my classes. I think I would really like to go back to school and get another masters degree. I would like to study health care administration. Every time I mention it to hubby he turns a deaf ear my way. I obviously have to finish my Phd first. Then ... after several years I would like to go back. I guess. I just like taking classes. I like learning. Deep down I am ready to finish so I can have my title. So that when people send mail to the house it can say "Mr. and Dr. X" haha!

I was going to make a separate post out of this all together. But I needed that break from work. I was working the whole time, but I had fewer classes so my work load was lighter. Now that I have had my break I feel refreshed rejuvenated and relaxed enough to finish the year out with a bang. It is part of what I caution other people interested in teaching online. You don't get weekends, you don't get holidays, you don't get vacations. You work 6 or 7 days a week every single week until the end of December. Then you usually have 2 weeks off. This is how it is, and how it goes. If you start feeling the burn in June...TOO BAD...because you don't have any time off until December. Whether you are in Costa Rica, at home or just sick you have to work. I personally don't mind, but down time like I have had over the last month gives me a breather that lets me make it to the end of the year. After all....all work and no play makes IPG a dull girl!

0 Mad Ramblings: