Monday, July 28, 2008

I am being shaken down by an 11 year old

I have often blogged about my marriage and stepdaughter and whether or not my Handsome Husband and I will procreate. Let me just spell out what has been going on around IPG's humble home lately.

I have an inquisitive mind. I look stuff up. I read a lot. I like to read non-fiction about information. When I became a stepmom I read a lot of books about being a step-parent. I am informed. I learn by doing sure...but when someone else's kid is on the line you want to do things right. (Can you tell I am a perfectionist)? Anyway, I have discussed at length my issues etc. with being a stepmom. But I have not really gotten to see what the challenges are first hand until recently.

First let me say that although I am as he affectionately calls me his trophy wife. I am neither some marriage stalking home-wrecker nor some 20 years his junior young thing. I am six months his junior, and while he was busy being married, having SD, and saving the world as a Marine. I was busy telling my parents I was studying hard at Auburn...not studying very hard, but getting good grades anyway! >:) The shenanigans I got up to at Auburn are for another time. But the point is that SD, HH, and I all have a great relationship. I have a good relationship with SD's mom, and HH and SD's mom get along pretty well too. The Brady Bunch we are not...but we do the best we can.

Somehow someone mentioned in front of SD that we might at some point in the ambiguous future decide to have an offspring of our own. Well she has become a bit obsessed. She talks about it on and on and on. I finally had to ban the word baby yesterday. We were out on the lake and SD was trying to pout because some old woman in church had the audacity to ask me when we thought it would be time to expand our family. She pouted about it most of the day even when she was in the boat.

Today she kept rehashing where the baby would sleep if we did indeed have a child. Over and over. It finally got to the point where I forbid the word Baby to be brandished.

1 Mad Ramblings:

papabudda2 said...

Still the smartest girl i know!