Friday, May 2, 2008

“It is far from easy to determine whether she (Nature) has proved to man a kind parent or a merciless stepmother” Anon

Ok it is that time of year again. Let me just tell you a bit (teeny bit) about being a stepmom on Mother's day. Let me ...phrase that right a stepmom with no children of her own. Tons of stepmom's with blogs talk about mother's day. However unlike MOST situations mine is very different. We all get along pretty well. It seems that everyone has come to terms with what is best for my stepdaughter. That really means no fighting.

Mother's day is all about the mom. I get that. I do. And I don't want to take anything away from the moms. Now that you have read that disclaimer read on.

The first year we got married. My stepdaughter didn't even call me on mother's day. It hurt my feelings! But she was 8 so I didn't really get too upset.

The second year we were married my stepdaughter didn't call me on mother's day. But my husband smart man that he is bought me my favorite flowers which is the Calla Lilly and some cards (one from him, one from my doggies, one from my stepdaughter).

Last year my stepdaughter sent me a card! It is great and I STILL have it up on my mantel. Her little brother even signed it (I am not his stepmom, but it was still super sweet.)

Now this year...hubby will do something for sure (he better). But I hope she remembers to call, and maybe I will get a card. I don't mean to sound like a whiner.

This is what I got my mom and mother-in-law for Mother's day. It is a beautiful vase by Nambe, and is on sale for 39 bucks (from 180 with free gift wrap and 2 days shipping). :) If you haven't shopped for you mom yet. My dad's birthday is the day before Mother's day and he is getting a book about Hitler...just like every year.




2 Mad Ramblings:

Unknown said...

My mother-in-law has alzheimers and the nursing home is having a big family dinner Thursday night this week (I'll be out of town all week so DH and his brother will go). Then on MD, DH's brother and his family will take her to church and to their house for a nice meal.

Me? I make it easy for my kids (they're both grown and on their own) -- I just go out of town :-) Seriously, I really do. I spend a week all by myself (well, and the dogs) in Williamsburg at the campground. HEAVEN on earth!!!

My birthday, Mother's day, and our anniversary are all within 6 weeks so we combine all three (this lets everybody off the hook! LOL). I get one "something" every year for all three. This year was my laptop (that's about every three years). Last year we traded in our used travel trailer for a new one (which I'd been wanting to do for two years).

The year before that, we went up to the Shenandoah Valley (where I grew up) and spent five days in a B&B, went to the theatre, spend several days antiquing, and visiting all the places where I lived, went to school, and so forth.

Three years ago we did nothing because my father-in-law passed away on my birthday. Sort of bummed us out.

The two years prior to that, I flew to TX to spend a week with my relatives on my late mother's side of the family.

Somewhere also in the past 7 years was my previous laptop and then our trip out to spend a week in San Francisco.

I'm already thinking about next year :-)

IPG said...

You sound like you have your Mother's day down! :)

Where in Texas?
It is my MOST FAVORITE state!
April