Sunday, May 4, 2008

Working on Sunday

This topic was discussed at another blog, and can be found right here. I just wanted to put a personal spin on it. I don't care for working every weekend, but it is unavoidable. With what I do. I have to work the weekends. Not working on Sunday forget about it. One of my very best friends (who does not teach online) tried to convince me I did not have to work as much on Sunday as I did. I tried to listen to her with an open mind even though secretly I thought she didn't know what she was talking about because she doesn't do my job or walk in my shoes and all that.

I did an experiment over the past few weeks, and found that if I do a lot of during the week work. A LOT! I can cut my Sunday hours by 2 hours. That just isn't worth it. I find it better to get up at 4 AM on Sunday get all my work done by the time I go to church. Go do whatever I want to do then come back and finish Sunday afternoon. However this requires a commitment to NOT stay up and out all hours of the night Saturday night. If I stay out late Saturday I have to go to Church then just spend all day Sunday working.

One Sunday I worked for 19.5 hours. Some Sundays I can get away with as little as 7. But I am working every Sunday. It is just impossible. There is no way around it.

My job has a lot of perks. Setting my own hours, working from home, working in work out pants all count as perks! :) But there are some negatives too. My friend thinks she might like to do what I do. However she mentioned she didn't want to work on Sundays because of her kids. I can understand that...kind of. But that is just too bad. Nearly 100 percent of your students will turn their assignments in on Sunday and you have to be around answering email. You have to be around and grading and helping them out. I know for her time spent with her children is paramount. However I have a phrase that I use quite a bit. And it is WORK IS WORK. Whether I like it or not work comes first. It has to come first. Well that and I secretly really like to work alot.

So today. Woke up at 3 AM. Got SOME work done. Sunday School...no church today. We are going out on the boat today again so I know I gotta get my work done ASAP! I will have to work again tonight.

1 Mad Ramblings:

Unknown said...

It's 3:30 on Sunday and I'm just now getting online. Will work for a few hours and then maybe not any more until tomorrow. Actually it's easier to take off Saturday than Sunday.

But I guess I should define "take off" the day -- this means check courses for questions and check emails at least three times a day! Sometimes on either Saturday or Sunday I can get by without doing more than that. But that's a rare weekend.

For a few years, I flew out to TX for a 4 day weekend for three years in a row. I planned it carefully so I could actually NOT get online for four days. I told my bosses and my students that after Thursday around 2 pm, I would be offline until late Monday night.

Actually it worked out pretty well with advance planning. I chose weekends when there wasn't much going on in any of my classes. Of course I was only teaching 6 classes then and 3 were on break. Love those breaks!! Got another one coming up in about a week but I'm not going anywhere.
~VP~