Thursday, August 23, 2007

Sometimes...

Sometimes...I get lonely. I work from home. So although I enjoy the flexibility sometimes the walls close in on me. I have to get out. Einstein Brother's Bagels opened today on campus so I decided to scoot to campus and check it out. I love those days where everything just clicks into place. A friend of mine is in vet school. She is off for the next 2 weeks. She took me to breakfast at the bagel place. While on campus, I stopped by Handsome Hubby's office. I ended up getting invited to lunch.

As I have mentioned before...all of our friends are married. There are very few single people that would hang out with us. We are not that much fun for crazy singles. So lunch was in order with two couples that we are very good friends with. After lunch I snuck over to a paint my own pottery place. I painted my husband this adorable picture frame. All in all it turned into a great day. HOWEVER...I got ZERO ZERO work done.

Sometimes....I get hung up in being perfect. Being a PhD Student often means redefining yourself DAILY. I used to be a PERFECT student. These days I try to just be an all right student. I still get on the perfect student roller coaster on occasion. A friend of mine called me crying. She was ready to quit school after 4 days of a Ph.D. program. Unfortunately I can identify. I know what she is going through. I know how difficult it can be. When she asked me how I did it...I just recall a dogmatic optimism that I promised I would get myself through. No matter what...I wasn't going to back down. She seemed shocked that that was my answer. I worry about her. I am concerned she won't make it.

Sometimes....I just have to quit worrying about everyone else. I just gotta worry about me. And TONIGHT...I need to go to bed.

2 Mad Ramblings:

anonymous female said...

tsk, tsk...dear sweet April, I remember when you were a crazy, single gal! I laughed remembering your days of coming in to teach at the college in Atlanta after an all nighter with your friends. I was an exhausted new mom then looking at you and wondering HOW does anyone teach on so little sleep???? LOL
Welcome to the couples club. Meeting up with other married friends is a delight, no?

IPG said...

I love meeting up with our married friends. Once you get married it just doesn't make sense to have single friends. They don't want to hear your stories about towels or air conditioners. :)
April