Thursday, June 12, 2008

Online Adjunct some more tips of the trade/ ONE YEAR BLOG ANNIVERSARY


Working...and picking jobs...I want to point out that as you build your online teaching portfolio you can weed out schools that require hand holding if it isn't your bag.

I have an algorithm that I use to determine the true pay scale of a school.

For example, say one school pays 2500 for 8 weeks but hassles me constantly. Sends me billions of emails, makes me go to tons of training, requires my attendance at all these synchronous chats and faculty meetings. Versus a school that pays 2000 for 10 weeks, and they assign my class and leave me alone. According to my algorithm I make more at the 10 weeks 2000 dollar school.

We all have our own pet peeves. Me personally, I hate training, and I don't want to go to synchronous meetings. I don't like being told to be somewhere at a certain time...which is why ...I teach online. So I am interested in teaching places that do not tie me to my phone line and desk at a certain time.

However because I have been doing this for awhile I can pick and choose. I turn places down if I don't care for the classes, or I want some time off or I merely just don't morally agree with what goes on at that school anymore.

I know that as you are starting out you take every class that is offered and then some. :) But the longer you are at it..the easier it is to find schools that are a good value, and meet your own personal algorithm.

______________________________________________________
Personal stuff

My house is not a kid friendly house, as one of my friends so kindly put it to me this week. Well...hmmm two so-called adults and a small dog live here full time. There is no reason for the house to be kid friendly. Most of the children that come into my home are well behaved, and I don't feel the need to baby proof just because people stop by and visit on occasion.

There was one incident last year when a 4 year old drank some of my jewelry cleaner because he thought it was Kool-aid, however this is not my fault. The jewelry cleaner was clearly NOT in a glass. And children should be supervised by their parents shouldn't they?

SD is not the type of kid that gets into stuff. Or plays with toys. So even when she is here the house only resembles a house with children because she doesn't pick up after herself. Apparently there is a fairy that does it at her mom's house...but this fairy doesn't like humidity I don't think. ha! Actually her mom disclosed this is her biggest complaint about SD. The mess!

I am not used to this kind of mess. Two so-called adults don't make the kinds of messes kids can make. I have mashed potatoes on my bathroom door knob and I can not fathom why. Surely it goes with out saying I never have mashed potatoes there when there are no children present.

The other thing is that I am not a big fan of children. Except my child, of course. SD is the perfect lady in public, and around adults. She would never wipe mashed potatoes on someone's door...so it must be one of her friends that was here. When her friends come visit I laugh a lot. They are puzzled by the lack of toys and other activities children enjoy such as the Disney channel. I love watching kids minds work; they are honestly horrified that I don't keep a big tub of Barbies right in the guest bedroom just in case they stop by. ha!

Finally, and this kills me. SD is all her dad's child. Her voice, mannerisms, looks, body shape, are 100 percent her dad. She operates at 2 speeds dead still and wide open. (This is hilarious because her dad and I both have those same two gears). An example, she went to the library to get in on the summer reading program. They give prizes for hours spent reading.... she has been reading for 6.5 hours now. She wants to fill up her whole sheet tonight. This kills me because that is something both her dad and I would do.

One thing that we have started in our family is that her dad and my anniversary is her anniversary too. It is the day I married her and her dad and we became a family. So this year is our 3rd anniversary. I have to look up the traditional gift for the 3rd anniversary. (We are doing the whole traditional gifts such as year one paper, year two cotton etc.) Then I have to find some kick butt 3rd year anniversary presents.

Some other fun summer facts...SD has to be told to take a shower and brush her teeth. Again it should go with out saying that I am not used to telling someone to take a shower and or brush their teeth. Sometimes 2 whole days go by until I ask "Did you take a shower?" Just as I am starting to get the hang of it she goes home. ;) Perhaps I should practice on the dog in her absence.

Her mom told me I get "Step Mom of the Year" for giving her the shiner. I think that is hilarious too. As long as no one calls Child Protective Services...I will keep laughing.


____________________________________________________

Today the blog is 1 year old! Happy Birthday Blog! :)

1 Mad Ramblings:

Anonymous said...

Happy Blog Birthday!! You had me rolling on the floor laughing about "kid messes" -- been there done that and don't miss it. I like an orderly house too. I guess that's why I don't enjoy having brother-in-law and sis-in-law and their two unruly attention-hog kids come to visit. We haven't invited them to a summer cookout yet this summer. Last summer we had them to a cookout and the kids hogged the entire evening. BIL and SIL kept telling each other to "go do something with the kids." 'Scuze me? At 6 and 9 years old they shouldn't need someone to "do something with them." Oh well. Glad they don't live in my house.

Have a great weekend (hopefully sans grading!!).
~VP~