Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Correlation is not causation- IPG

The term usually used is correlation does not imply causation. It is a phrase used in statistics. It is typically used to show that just because two variables have a relationship does not mean that one causes the other. Although like any good logic argument the converse is true causation does imply correlation. However...I digress.

Take for example that the two variables ice cream sales and murder. As ice cream sales increases murder increases. These two variables have a positive relationship. As the sale of ice cream decreases murder rates decrease. Excellent. That is correlation. However it would be a logical fallacy to insist that eating ice cream causes people to murder. This would prove the correlation does not imply causation. Perhaps there is another variable involved like HEAT that is causing the murder rate to increase.

Anyway, why am I going off about these random statistic facts? Who knows? I am anxious to collect data and write up chapters 4 and 5. I also got involved in some family drama rama that I should have kept my nose out of.

Work? I have been working quite a bit lately. Teaching online provides me with an active career that I can pursue while working on my Ph. D. I started teaching online 5 years ago. Wow! Time flies. At any rate, I enjoy what I do, and will continue to teach online. I enjoy the classes, and the students. I have not decided if I will be seeking a tenure track position at Arizona State although that might not work so well since there is a recession going on...however we shall see.

3 Mad Ramblings:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're ready for vacation!! What are you going to do about your classes while you're gone? I find it very difficult to find any time off from all the schools at the same time. How many different schools do you teach for?

IPG said...

I teach while I am gone. I don't ever take any time off. I will send you an email about my schools!

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!