Tuesday, October 14, 2008

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

The saying goes that if you lie down with dogs you rise up with fleas. Another one of those sayings is you are who you hang around. I overthink things. I know I overthink everything. However do I overthink things because I am an academic or am I an academic because I overthink things?

And why can't I just shut my brain off? I just can't…I think and think and think. I look at everything from 100 different angles. It makes for great insomnia. It makes for great research ideas. I am always full of creative research ideas. But it doesn't leave me with any sanity. After I leave the coffee shop today I want to go somewhere where I can't think. I don't know where that place could be, perhaps a loud rock concert. This might be difficult to find in the middle of the day on a Tuesday.

But back to the original question….do I overthink because I am an academic? Or am I an academic because I overthink? I mentioned a few weeks back about Bey's incredible ability to think nothing. I don't have penis envy…but I sure as heck have Nothing thinking envy. AND get this…I have thought about this phenomena so much…I want to research it. Read some papers on it. Never mind that it isn't in my area.

I need an off button.

1 Mad Ramblings:

papabudda2 said...

It's not about the question, and it's really not even the answer. It's the challenge. Have we decided the chicken and the egg question yet or was it relegated to the pages of "who knows, scramblled or baked is fine with me"?