Thursday, March 20, 2008

You can arrive at work here anytime, as long as it’s before 8AM. Andy Grove

I got an email today from a wannabe Online Adjunct she had several questions. I spent a long time answering her. So I decided to share it all here. She was worried about working and family.

I managed to buy and sell a home, move 1400 miles, get married at a destination wedding location, go on a honeymoon, unpack my new home, start new job, and start school between July 21 - August 10, 2005.

After that I had no problems managing my time.

# What are some of the biggest time wasters in your routine?

I have a system of lists. List A, List B, and List C: List A must be done today, List B could be done tomorrow, and List C has a due date sometime in the future. I also have a List D which is something I would like to do, but don't have time right now.

Every morning I get up. I take a shower immediately. I then eat breakfast whether or not I am hungry right then. If I wait to eat I end up lollygagging over coffee and food. I then get to work. I like to get up and be working before my husband wakes up for work.

I then tackle my lists. When I am done with the A list I move to the B list. Once I am done with both I reorganize the list for tomorrow. After that I am allowed to waste as much time as I want.

I do not sign on to instant messenger, and I turn my cell phone off when I am working on school work or work. This way I can work as fast as possible with out distractions. I also do not respond to email during this time. Email can be chasing a white rabbit through wonderland when you are trying to work.


# What can you do faster or more efficiently?


Several things I have found help me to not waste time. I work out at home rather than driving to the gym. It takes 30 minutes round trip to go to the gym. I can save that 30 minutes for spending my time with my husband later. Whenever I find a time waster I cut it out. For example if I go grocery shopping by myself it takes me 2 hours. IF I take my husband he rushes me, and it can be done in 45 minutes.


One thing that has helped me is I realize that a due date is only the last day I can turn an assignment in or grades in to students. If I do them as soon as possible I can work more efficiently. For example, I try to stay 2 weeks ahead on my classes I am taking. I had the flu terribly this winter. I ran a fever, and worked minimally during the time I was sick. I was able to not get behind because I always plan ahead.

When posting for a school I ensure that I post early in the week. I try to participate 6 days a week. However if I have posted M-F and gotten up early on Saturday to post...it doesn't matter what happens on Sunday because my work for the week is done.

# What tasks can you delegate to family members?

My husband runs all of our errands except errands he can not run like going to the doctor for me. I cook meals in a crock pot or bake them in the oven so we can eat nutritiously but easily. I set up automatic bill pay on bills etc. to help alleviate those worries. Finally I have learned to say no. If I don't have time I say no whether I am saying no to my best friend or my mom. Learning to say no has been a freeing way to free up my time.

# Where do you have down time built into your schedule?

I am committed to being done with work an school at least 3 days a week when my husband gets off work. We eat dinner together and spend time together. I also go to church, and spend relaxing time on Sunday afternoons.

2 Mad Ramblings:

Unknown said...

Great schedule. I also prefer early mornings or very late nights for a variety of reasons. It's 4 am now and I want to be done with all I HAVE to do so I can spend the rest of the day doing what I want to do. I'll be done working by 8 am when the rest of the family wakes up!
~VP~

IPG said...

It is so much more quiet when everyone is asleep. Plus I have insomnia as it it! Might as well take advantage! :)