Thursday, September 20, 2007

Please call me Doctor

We were discussing in a group meeting today how insufferable new Ph. D.'s are! And I admitted I am going to be one of the worst. Not really...ok maybe just a little. :) In the course of our discussion I teased, "When I finish my Ph.D. I won't answer to anything but Doctor. Not even Dr. Adams...just Dr. hehe" Of course I am teasing. I like teasing my husband about it! Actually he teases me too...I won't say...but if you know him...you know that is is naughty teasing. :)

I have also decided to be super efficient so I am going to send an email out to all my students with this handy list. They can just pick a number for their fallacious argument for why their assignments are late. This way I don't have to read mountains and mountains of excuses. They can just send me an email with a number. Like this,

"Dear Professor IPG,

5.

Sincerely,
John Q. Student"

That saves lots of time. More efficient! I suggest everyone adding this list of fallacious arguments for late work to their syllabus. (Oh P.S. as a bonus all are linked to the fallacious arguments page for quick look up)!

  1. Ad Hominem (Argument To The Man)
  2. Affirming The Consequent
  3. Amazing Familiarity
  4. Ambiguous Assertion
  5. Appeal To Anonymous Authority
  6. Appeal To Authority
  7. Appeal To Coincidence
  8. Appeal To Complexity
  9. Appeal To False Authority
  10. Appeal To Force
  11. Appeal To Pity (Appeal to Sympathy, The Galileo Argument)
  12. Appeal To Widespread Belief (Bandwagon Argument, Peer Pressure, Appeal To Common Practice)
  13. Argument By Emotive Language (Appeal To The People)
  14. Argument By Fast Talking
  15. Argument By Generalization
  16. Argument By Gibberish (Bafflement)
  17. Argument By Half Truth (Suppressed Evidence)
  18. Argument By Laziness (Argument By Uninformed Opinion)
  19. Argument By Personal Charm
  20. Argument By Pigheadedness (Doggedness)
  21. Argument By Poetic Language
  22. Argument By Prestigious Jargon
  23. Argument By Question
  24. Argument By Repetition (Argument Ad Nauseam)
  25. Argument by Rhetorical Question
  26. Argument By Scenario
  27. Argument By Selective Observation
  28. Argument By Selective Reading
  29. Argument By Slogan
  30. Argument From Adverse Consequences (Appeal To Fear, Scare Tactics)
  31. Argument From Age (Wisdom of the Ancients)
  32. Argument From Authority
  33. Argument From False Authority
  34. Argument From Small Numbers
  35. Argument From Spurious Similarity
  36. Argument Of The Beard
  37. Argument To The Future
  38. Bad Analogy
  39. Begging The Question (Assuming The Answer, Tautology)
  40. Burden Of Proof
  41. Causal Reductionism (Complex Cause)
  42. Changing The Subject (Digression, Red Herring, Misdirection, False Emphasis)
  43. Cliche Thinking
  44. Common Sense
  45. Complex Question (Tying)
  46. Confusing Correlation And Causation
  47. Disproof By Fallacy
  48. Equivocation
  49. Error Of Fact
  50. Euphemism
  51. Exception That Proves The Rule
  52. Excluded Middle (False Dichotomy, Faulty Dilemma, Bifurcation)
  53. Extended Analogy
  54. Failure To State
  55. Fallacy Of Composition
  56. Fallacy Of Division
  57. Fallacy Of The General Rule
  58. Fallacy Of The Crucial Experiment
  59. False Cause
  60. False Compromise
  61. Genetic Fallacy (Fallacy of Origins, Fallacy of Virtue)
  62. Having Your Cake (Failure To Assert, or Diminished Claim)
  63. Hypothesis Contrary To Fact
  64. Inconsistency
  65. Inflation Of Conflict
  66. Internal Contradiction
  67. Least Plausible Hypothesis
  68. Lies
  69. Meaningless Questions
  70. Misunderstanding The Nature Of Statistics
  71. Moving The Goalposts (Raising The Bar, Argument By Demanding Impossible Perfection)
  72. Needling
  73. Non Sequitur
  74. Not Invented Here
  75. Outdated Information
  76. Pious Fraud
  77. Poisoning The Wells
  78. Psychogenetic Fallacy
  79. Reductio Ad Absurdum
  80. Reductive Fallacy (Oversimplification)
  81. Reifying
  82. Short Term Versus Long Term
  83. Slippery Slope Fallacy (Camel's Nose)
  84. Special Pleading (Stacking The Deck)
  85. Statement Of Conversion
  86. Stolen Concept
  87. Straw Man (Fallacy Of Extension)
  88. Two Wrongs Make A Right (Tu Quoque, You Too)
  89. Weasel Wording

Please note I am merely being funny here. :) I just have read about 4000 emails on why assignments are late. :)

3 Mad Ramblings:

anonymous female said...

I laugh! I laugh because it happens every quarter to me too. Which number covers "I had a death in the family?"
Not that I am unsympathetic to such things, but I know there is a stretch of truth in many of these stories.

IPG said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
IPG said...

Did you know that attending an online school can be hazardous to your family's health?

:)
April