Wednesday, September 5, 2007

What things really mean...

I am a southerner. Many times I make a comment and while I might say one thing...I mean something else entirely.Let me give you an example if I tell someone "Bless your heart." I don't mean "Bless your heart." I could mean "You are an idiot" or "I am so glad I don't have your life" or "I told you so" or a myriad of other less nice thoughts. But I say "Bless your heart" or "You poor thing."

As a doctoral student they rarely spell out what you really need to know. They "highly suggest" you go to meetings. That means "GO TO THIS MEETING!" They say "It is advised that..." when what they mean is "I want you to do it this way."

I used to be friends with this girl that I actually quit being friends with because of her paranoid fantasies. I remember when she would make ridiculous commentary on the world beneath the world that no one knew existed. Well slap a label on me.

I am going to STOP this nonsense from this day forward. I am going to say what I mean. I hate when I am on airlines and they say "This is a small mechanical problem. This will only take us 10 minutes to fix." and that means that we are going to sit on this hot plane for 1.5 hours. I am sick of this world that isn't as it seems! From now on don't suggest that I show up to a meeting. If you want me at the meeting send it to my Outlook calendar. Bless your heart!

:P

2 Mad Ramblings:

anonymous female said...

HA ha ha!! Ok, ok, ok, I am wiping the tears from my eyes on this one. whooboy! It is SOOOOO freaking true!!! It is also very American. I didn't realize it until I came to Mexico. At first I thought folks were being rude except that their body language or tone would confuse the heck out of me by remaining steady and calm. WHat DO you mean I am too fat???? What do you MEAN I look sloppy in my style of dress? What do you mean my food is too salty??? THanks! I look nice today? Thanks! You like my garden?

Yup. Speaking directly is, well, it is honest and it took me by surprise to learn to adjust to it. I honestly do not engage in small talk with the Mexicans here. They don't tell me I look great to get me to like them or that the weather is too cold or too hot (it is always just fine). But you know what, I have come to like the honesty.

IPG said...

That is tough. I had someone from up north explain to me the other day that they never realized southerners were not nicer than northerners they were just more polite than northerners.

I started laughing because isn't it so true. I am nice to everyone...to their face.