Friday, September 14, 2007

There is a fine line....

This is a tough semester for me. I thought it was going to be a breeze. I am taking all of my classes online. Mississippi State offers only a few of their classes online. I managed to sign up for all of them online this term.

What this means is I have no where I actually have to be EVER. This is not that hard. Except that while I am staying caught up on work and school...I am also getting very bored. I am reading the Lord of the Rings. Watching some HGTV...rereading Harry Potter. Mostly I just work/and do school work. In all fairness that requires a lot of time for me. I might as well have an office because I have to spend the time. Many people ask me what are some of the challenges I face working from home. One thing I have to encourage others to remember is that working from home means being disciplined enough to work in an undisciplined environment. I have been working from home since 2002. I have the discipline down. :)

During the day it is not as easy to work as some would think. For some reason people assume that if you work from home you don't work. This is not the case. I work, and if I am off running errands with you...then I am not getting my work or school work done at home. That is the long and short of it.

I did do an unscheduled errand yesterday. I took handsome hubby or hh as I like to call him a surprise to work! He was pleased. It was nice to see that he was happy. I dropped off some balloons, a card, some of his favorite candy, and a little travel mug. Just a tiny happy to help him have a great day. :) He loved it. It was a great chance for me to make him smile.

2 Mad Ramblings:

anonymous female said...

Tack on homeschooling which means the kids are always around (I often mute my online meetings due to this) and a husband taking classes and doing real estate (translation: he is ALWAYS home too!) and then you get a flavor of how hard it is to work from home for me too. One blessed thing...the kids are now accustomed to my teleconferences and actually hush during those moments. Still, I wouldn't trade online work for anything at this time (maybe later I will). It does take a high amount of discipline. I have had days where I didn't go to to bed until the next day...the job has to get done, no matter what. Something I enjoy is being able to email other online instructors/students with crazy quips of the day just to keep things interesting.

IPG said...

I love emailing other online faculty. I love discussing how life can be for an online faculty.

Just because I sit in a pair of PJ pants and a bathrobe all day doesn't mean I am not working. :D

I stayed up last night until 4 polishing some stuff off. Like you said that job has to get done. :)

My hubby hates working from home. We tried it when we first moved to Mississippi. He is much better at the office. Then I can miss him. :)