Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Pontification

I want to talk about my job a bit here. While I think online courses are neither harder nor easier than on ground course I believe they are different.

I do not believe that online teaching is for everyone. For one it takes dedication and dogmatism to merely get the job. Not everyone can handle the amount of work it takes to just get that first online position. I also think that getting the first position helps the candidate to be prepared as to what it is like having the job.

Second it involves some level of uncertainty. For example one's courses might not make. Or a new dean might be hired, and you have to build relationships via the phone and email once again. Or the school might change the policy on number of courses allowed by adjuncts each year. So in essence an online faculty member must be able to absorb that risk.

Third teaching online requires discipline that some people lack. I have tons of friends that would "love" to teach online. They talk about shopping during the day, and teaching from all over the world. True you could do those things. That is definitely one of the perks. However you also have to remember that it is work. And highly competitive. If you shop all day you may have to work all night. If you are not a self starter you are in trouble. If you are not self disciplined enough to force yourself to work when it has to be done then online teaching is not for you. If you procrastinate you just make more work for yourself.

Forth...it is a lonely business. I have tons of online friends. But I get up and work from 7 AM until 6 PM when my husband comes in. The only person I see all day long is my dog. Granted I could go to lunch and spend time with friends, but then I would have to work at night when my husband is home. Trust me it is lonely. I also have no peer group. I am not a mother so I do not really hang with the single moms. Most women that are 30 have jobs or kids.

Fifth you are never off work except the end of December. Pretend you work for 5 schools. The breaks and holidays will never coincide. So you will work 5 to 7 days a week for 11 months of the year.

Sixth...it is highly competitive out there. There are constantly people that are willing to do your job. So if you fall down on the job it is going to be to your detriment because the college administration can find your replacement.

Seventh...you need to be extremely organized. You have to keep track of paperwork, calendars, time zones, students, grade due dates, schedules etc for each school you are working for and for each class.

Eighth you don't get to call in sick. If you are teaching a class you can't drop your ball. You might be able to get someone to substitute for you. You might be able to get a leave of absence. But if you have the flu you will be at your computer doing work.

Ninth you have to keep in constant contact with some schools. Some schools are outstanding about hiring you. You get your regular schedule each term like clock work. Some schools you have to chase down and talk to every single term. You will feel like a sales person networking for your classes.

Tenth for the most part no benefits. You will have to come up with a plan for health insurance, life insurance, and retirement. There are full time online positions that will give you these, but they are limited.

Now I know I sound like a grumpy gus. I don't mean it that way. I just wanted to point out and to share this with anyone that hadn't thought about the other side.

To close on a Positive note the top 10 things I like about teaching online.

1.) I got married in Belize in 2005 and didn't have to take any time off. I just taught my classes during my wedding and my honeymoon. It was great! Wifi is your friend.
2.)You have an excuse to buy new technical gadgets because you need them to do your job! And they are a business expense so you take them off on your taxes.
3.) How much you earn is up to you! You have the potential to earn as much as you would like. It just takes some hard work and dedication.
4.) Your students will surprise and captivate you. You get to meet people from all over the world in all walks of life.
5.) You get all kinds of free training. You get to learn all new things from the schools you work for.
6.) You can teach online and work on your education. You won't take out a dime in student loans. You can just pay as you go. ;)
7.) As you work you can pursue other interests such as writing a book. As long as you get your work done...you are free to do that.
8.)If you have terrible insomnia like me you can work at 4 am. Or 2 am or 1 pm. As long as your work is done by when it must be complete.
9.) You get free textbooks all the time. I love books. I love reading them and going over all the new things! I love picking books for classes.
10.) You get to invest and save for retirement using Self Employeed 401ks and other type of investment that are not available if you have a corporate job.

0 Mad Ramblings: