Friday, February 22, 2008

Government's view of the economy: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. Ronald Regan

Some thoughts on the economy. I am tired of listening to people whine about the economy. Especially people my age. First of all if you are in your late twenties early thirties...and you invest the stock market going down is a GOOD THING. For the most part if you are investing...you are investing for your retirement. If the mutual fund that costs you 20 bucks yesterday costs you 10 dollars today you can buy 2 of them. You can then hold on to them and keep earning. The stock market going down helps you to accumulate more. Over the long haul it helps you out in times like these for your retirement investments.

Second of all if you are educated (as everyone I know is). Then there is no reason why if you can not find a job that you should not be able to make something happen for yourself. This may sound harsh, but your education taught you to hustle. It trained you for this day.

Third of all if you paid one second's worth of attention in personal finance then you shouldn't be in a mess. Your house shouldn't be under water, and you should be living with in your means debt to savings to income ration wise.

I am not trying to sound smug, but those are just the rules I live by. If I lost my job today...I could go get a job at Ruby Tuesday and pay my mortgage. I don't have any other debt. My husband did not sign on to this program originally. However after five years together he has gotten with the program.

I was discussing debt the other day with a friend. She has lots...I have none (except my mortgage) How did I do that and go to school? First of all I go to a state school where tuition is reasonable, and I get out of state waived because my husband works here.

I invested when I got out of college. I saved a lot of money and put it down on my home. I paid off all my vehicles. My spouse and I are on a strict budget. Last year I out earned my spouse by three times. But that is ok. Because it isn't about that. It is about he and I working towards our dreams. That is why the youngest car we own is six years old; we also have an eight year old car and an 18 year old car. I intend to drive both of our main vehicles until they are falling apart.

Ok...the cough medicine finally kicked in. I can go to sleep.

2 Mad Ramblings:

Deanna- yep Dee-na said...

:) You go girl. You have done well. Not being in debt is just the greatest thing. I can't wait to be in the same boat. Having kids can be an anchor in this boat. lol Maybe I need my MS and PhD so I can outearn my hubby. not! lol I don't see me outearning him teaching. Although I am going to finish that MS degree before I die.
I saw your post on the VirtualProf. blog. :) Thought I'd check out yours and say hello.

IPG said...

Hi!

Welcome to my blog. I love being a blogger although I haven't been doing it long.

FINISH YOUR DEGREE> There is NO SENSE in delaying. I promise you will be much happier when every day you don't wake up with that cloud over your head. (Like the PhD I have hanging over mine...)