Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Insomnia is a gross feeder. It will nourish itself on any kind of thinking, including thinking about not thinking. ~Clifton Fadiman


Do you have insomnia? Not the joking around kind that you tease people about but honest to goodness insomnia. I have insomnia. I get maybe 4 hours of sleep a day. So I am generally always tired. I get it honest though my mom wakes up every day at 3 AM. I have 2 kinds of sleep problems a.) I can not get to sleep b.) I can not stay asleep.

I have this amazing bed. It has an expensive mattress, year around down comforters, 1000 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets, hotel collection feather bed and mattress pad, dozens of pricey pillows too. Sleeping in my bed is like sleeping on a cloud. My husband is also warm. He lets me stick my feet on him and warm those icey things up. He is also a fairly cuddley sleeper holding me all night long.

So why am I not in my amazing bed with my handsome man? Why am I on my freezing leather sofa debating about trying to sleep in the guest room AGAIN? Because I have insomnia. I just spent the last hour laying in the dark. Making deals in my mind about going to sleep. I gave up and moved out on the couch. I figure a few hours of work won't kill me if I can't sleep. Where are those darn Serta sheep when I need them?

It is ridiculous. Here is how it will start. I will get in bed. I have to read to go to sleep. So I will be reading. Then I will decide my pajamas, nightgown, t-shirt, whatever itches so I will take them off. Then I get my nightly mandatory backrub (the real reason I got married. hehe). Then I try to read. I decide I want a tshirt so I put one on. Then I go into the bathroom and stare at my teeth. They are brushed, mouthwashed, flossed, and flourided (I take care of my teeth.) I might reclean my face. I lay back down. I read a few more minutes. Toss around. Turn the light out. Lay there in the dark.

I think of ridiculous things like what if I am murdered by a serial killer will everyone remember I want a New Orleans style funeral? Also what if I were to go back to school after my PhD what would I study and would hubby let me attend University of Texas? Do I want to teach statistics next term? Is my step-daughter going to go to Auburn? Will she join my sorority and become a tigerette? Do I have anything in the house for lunch tomorrow? What would be the best strategy for living through a zombie apocalypse?

I eventually give up. I have had enough. I get back up. Go to the computer do some work...write on my blog...complain about how tired I am. If you don't have insomnia you have no idea, but it is horrible being up at 3 and 4 AM. Then I give up and just start studying. I figure I might as well. If I am going to be up I should study for my comps. I am obviously going to have to go back on Ambien. At least then I will be sleeping.

4 Mad Ramblings:

anonymous female said...

oh sweetie. I feel for ya. Had it after each pregnancy...and know how mentally exhausted you must be feeling now. Hope something changes soon.

IPG said...

You should be in bed yourself!
What are you doing up?

anonymous female said...

Dang girl...you were up to 3 am when you wrote that. Ah sweetie...hope you get well soon.

IPG said...

Check out the next entry it was at 5 AM