Thursday, February 28, 2008

I put all my genius into my life; I put only my talent into my works.” Oscar Wilde

I have been discussing my job recently. So I wanted to post some hints here.

First of all I have a BS, MS, and am working on PhD from a traditional
University. They are all 3 from good schools. I have been teaching for
close to 5 years in Information Systems, Management, and Statistics
courses because that is what I am qualified to teach...I don't really
know anything about any other courses or schools or needs. Since I am
pretty much a 3 trick pony. :)

I go online and do searches for schools as if I were a student
interested in that program. Then I go to each school's individual
website and hunt down how to apply. Sometimes it is at the bottom of
the page. Sometimes it is under Human Resources, or Employment, or
About Us. Sometimes I have to use the Site Map. Finally sometimes I
have to call the number and just ask. I typically keep a spreadsheet
of the school's web address where they list their jobs. I also put any
contact information I may have and I log any correspondence that will
or has occurred.

If they request that I email them a resume...I go ahead and attach my
unofficial transcripts from all the schools and my letters of
reference. I put a read receipt on the email so I know if they are
being read.

Just so you know...applying is a hit or miss type deal. I applied for
a lot of schools in March of 2004 and was teaching at three of them by
July. However...on average I would say that from the time you contact
the school to the time you teach your first class can be anywhere from
6 months to one year. I have found that if there is an on ground
campus in your area it is easier to get on there, and then transition
to online for some schools. That technique has worked. Finally if you
know others that teach online getting them to recommend you is a QUICK
way to get hired. My mom teaches for about 5 schools and I recommended
her to all of them.

When I apply for schools I sit down and treat it like a job. I apply
for hours at a time. I research, apply, follow up, and keep records.
One Friday in January(07), I spent all day applying for schools. I
heard back from some of them, and got a pass from others. One of the
schools I heard back from interviewed me and I trained in July. I am
teaching my first course for them now. That is just an example of how
long the process can take.

As it is, for the last almost 5 years I have made a good living
teaching online. I spend between 8 and 9 hours per day on my courses. To be a good
instructor you have to take time.

Additionally applying at just 10 schools is not going to be enough. I
would say that your response rate is going to be about 1-3 percent.
(And 3 percent is high). Plus you never know what is going to turn a
school on. It can be frustrating filling out online applications again
and again, but that is just part of the territory. I have had schools
that I applied to on Monday and they wanted me in class teaching by
the following Monday. A word to the wise. This sounds EXCITING, and
for those of you that are dying to teach...I can understand. But trust
me when I tell you that a school that manages its courses like that
will burn you out quickly.

Finally, I have several schools I teach for regularly and about 3 or 4
more sporadically. I enjoy what I do, and love the freedom it brings.
But there are some pitfalls.

I see a lot of people on this board complain about the pay. I believe
for what you are required to do the pay is great. Where else are you
going to get paid to stay home? I am married and my husband does have
benefits so my position is a bit different from others. Additionally,
I find it to be excellent working conditions. Also you have to factor
in saving gas money, eating out lunch money, career clothes money,
time spent on the commute, and all the tax breaks that come with
having a home office...I think it evens out. I also invest in a self
employeed 401k. Tax wise if you teach online you are ALWAYS going to
owe money at the end of the year, so be sure you are saving so that
you can write that check April 15.

I guess the last piece of advice that I have is follow up. Follow up.
Follow up, and did I mention follow up? If you have contact
information once you apply. I try to follow up somewhere between every
3 weeks and 1 month. I have found that it IS very possible to fall
through the cracks so to speak.

Best of luck!

0 Mad Ramblings: