Sunday, September 7, 2008

It is just a paper, a giant behemoth of a paper

I have been toying with the idea of starting a second blog. On my second blog I will blog about personal issues, family issues, marriage issues etc., and on this blog I will only discuss working on my doctorate, and teaching online.

I am unsure if it is something I really want to do. However I know that the readers of my blog read for several reasons, to keep track of me if they know and love me, :), to get information about working from home, to follow along as I work on my doctorate.

Lately there has been quite a bit going on with my doctorate, and work. Those things have seem to sort of eclipse what is going on in my home life. But there are some big things going on at home too. I just don't want my readers to find me tedious.

The biggest thing going on at home is that HH and I are officially trying to have a child. There are a lot of things that got me on board. One was talking to my dear friend Amanda. She explained that she didn't feel maternal at first and didn't bond with her first child right at first until about the 7th month. ( I could have just sneakily changed this in the blog. But I prefer my blog to be organic. So I marked it out instead. Please see the comment made by the email from Amanda. Apparently I don't listen well on the phone...the ADHD must have been especially bad that day :) ). It made me realize the feelings I was having were normal. Even though it is impossible to find people that will admit them. The second thing that got me on board was that I decided to be really scientific about this so I went out and bought a thermometer, and ovulation tests etc. I am doing all these charts...like it is this GIANT math problem. And I love Math! I am still scared to death that I am not ready to take care of a child. I am still being a little selfish because having a child means giving up a lifestyle that I enjoy. I am still ambivalent about a lot of things along these same lines. But this teeny tiny spark of excitement has started with in me. Also I don't think I have ever seen HH so happy that I have agreed to have his baby. And that in turn makes me happy.


In other news I need to hire someone to follow me around and hit me in the face with a bat when I begin to get unmotivated. I have gotten so unmotivated about my disseration I have actually started WORKING MORE to avoid my dissertation. Not going to the pool, not reading a book, not even cleaning, but WORKING MORE. So you see the situation is critical. I think a bat to the face should clear that up quite nicely. You can decide whether it should be a nerf bat or not. Please send your application expeditiously as I need your expertise immediately.

4 Mad Ramblings:

Anonymous said...

I don't find you tedious at all. I really enjoy reading about all that you're juggling. Your ability to balance it all is inspiring. I hope to be just like you soon. :)

Good luck with the baby-making!

Sara

IPG said...

Hey Sara,

Thanks! I appreciate the comments. I think that if I tried to split the blogs it just wouldn't work for me. Thanks for helping solidify what I was already thinking.

IPG said...

This is an email I got from the infamous Amanda. :)

I edited. She can't remember her user name and pass so couldn't comment.

"Anyway, wanted to clarify....you said it took 7 months to bond...I would say it didn't take that long to bond. Maybe 7 weeks but not months. I remember the first few weeks were just a little strange. You prepare 9 months and then this little baby comes in and changes your life (in a good way) but at first it was as if we had a little visitor that we took care of all the time that was never going to leave."

"But once I got comfortable and confident everything was better. Then when she was 3 months, she started to smile and do things and that's when the fun began. I would say from 3-12 months was one of my favorite times. Everything was so new and fun for Baby1 and for us, it was great. It was neat watching her grow and change. Before she was born, I used to say that I wanted a baby but they had to come out as a toddler because I was scared of babies. But now that I have a toddler, I can say I love the baby stage. Don't get me wrong, having Baby1 at this stage is so much fun, we can have neat conversations and she amazes us with how smart she is all the time. That is neat, however, how I miss her sweet baby stage. She was such a sweetie and laughed and smiled at everything we did. We could do no wrong in her eyes. That is an amazing feeling. Now she looks at us like we are crazy and talks back when she doesn't want to do something. Oh the terrible twos and threes! he! Anyway, it is all new and different and everyone is different. It is definitely an adjustment, but a good one. I am so glad to hear you and your HH as you call him have started trying. That is part of the fun!! Then you have nine months to enjoy being pampered and preparing for your little bundle of joy. he! It's great! Anyway, wanted to write and say we are thinking about you guys and hope all goes well. :-) Keep us updated! We have 6 weeks to go until baby 2 comes along. Oh, know what will I do with 2!!! I'm getting scared all over again, but it will be fine! Thank goodness for a great husband, family and friends!!! Talk to you soon!!!!!"

papabudda2 said...

Typical IPG 87 important issues in one installment. Atta girl, I'm proud of you. Best we all realize who and what we are from time to time. Somehow that always seems to focus ourselves on the real issues and the real goals that make us who and what we are. The key is baby steps A.K.A. top down structure approaches girl.
Of all the people i know u r the one that seems to always handle Fn's not only well, but exceptionally. Just keep movin! 3