Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Thanks to VP for inspiring this post

Handling the vague student question.

I get many many emails like this.

From: hotguy69@hotmail.com
To: IPG
Received: 11:59 PM EST Sunday (1 minute before the assignment is due)
Hey teach,

I am confsd. Can u xplain what we r doing this week? i have been working on it all week. i just dont get it.

What I would like to do is respond with...

From: IPG
To: hotguy

I don't know who this is. I have looked extensively in all of my courses and none of the students are named Mr. Hot Guy nor Mr. Guy Hot.
Warmly,
IPG


OR I could respond

From: IPG
To: Hotguy

Nothin' u need 2 worry about. U just got goose eggs.

OR I could respond

From: IPG
To: Hotguy

If you have been puzzling through it all week...how come when I run statistics in the classroom it says you just logged in 15 minutes ago? And why would you wait until just now to send me an email?


I also get these types of responses in the discussion board.
However this is how I usually respond.

From: IPG
To: hotguy

Dear Mr. Guy:
I am unable to identify you by your email. It is unfortunate as I would really like to answer your question. I am sorry that you are confused. Due to the ambiguous nature of discussing things via a text only medium. I am unable to ascertain what you might possibly be confused about. However upon reflection, I am sure that you will be able to respond with a clearer question. One that I will be able to respond to with ease rather than leaving the question so open to interpretation.

Additionally if you would so kindly let me know what your name is. Both your surname and given name would be preferable as it makes it easier for me to identify you. Also please peruse my syllabus, and you will see that I have office hours through out the week that you have been apprised of their times. Responding at the last mere moment before the assignment is late with a vague question does not give you an exemption for tardiness.

Warmly,
IPG

1 Mad Ramblings:

Anonymous said...

ROTFLOL

Welcome back, IPG. I've missed your posts!

Glad you had some R&R -- it's hard to find a week here and there with what we do.

VP